No, it’s not the Sunday morning slot.
Commodores crooner and sculpture enthusiast Lionel Richie has been booked to play next year’s Glastonbury. It won’t be an ‘All Night’ set (sorry) – he’s down to cover the Sunday afternoon slot, which over the years has seen vintage superstars like Brian Wilson, Paul Simon and Dolly Parton drawing huge crowds to the Pyramid Stage.
“I’m really excited to play Glastonbury next year as it’s one of the most iconic festivals in the world,” said Richie. “It has a phenomenal history and the alumni of artists who have previously played is incredible so I’m honoured to be joining that club. It will be a really special moment for me and I can’t wait to share it with everyone. I can now say ‘Yes, I’m playing Glastonbury.’”
Festival organiser Emily Eavis said: “He’s one of the great soul legends. He’s got all the songs, some incredible songs, and I think he will get people on their feet. There will be a lot of love out there for Lionel.”
Hear that? ALL the songs. Richie is the first big-name artist announced for Glastonbury 2015. We all had high hopes for Fleetwood Mac in a headline slot, but the reunited band have refuted rumours (sorry again) of an appearance. In better news, the festival has banned the sale of those stupid Native American-style headdresses. [via Guardian]